If you want happiness for an hour: take a nap. If you want happiness for a day: go fishing. If you want happiness for a year: inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime: help someone else.—Chinese Proverb
There are countless organizations that need your help right now. To choose one, ask yourself a couple of questions. First, what is your passion? Second, what would you do if you had a million dollars to spend as a philanthropist? The answer to these questions will guide you on your quest for a cause. Here are some helpful suggestions.
- You can serve meals at a local homeless shelter.
- Wildlife Rescue Centers need volunteers to provide care for injured birds.
- If you love to play in the dirt, the Square Foot Gardening Foundation is an organization dedicated to solving world hunger.
- Meals on Wheels is a great organization that prepares and delivers hot meals to seniors.
- If you love working with youth, the YMCA and Big Brothers and Sisters of America need mentors.
- Animal shelters often need help caring for dogs and cats.
The list above is small, but there is an entire world of possibilities. If you are super busy, find a place to volunteer once a month. It doesn’t have to be every week. Or just find a one-time service project. You will be glad you did!